Summary of the Role:
The role of the Maintenance worker/Handyman will report to the Maintenance and Facilities
Director to conduct general maintenance, repairs, and landscaping at buildings and properties
owned and operated by HSF.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform regular maintenance and major repairs and upkeep of HSF property.
- Perform a variety of work in the maintenance and repair of buildings and grounds at various
- Carpentry: Performs basic rough and finished carpentry work in construction and repair
of structures such as partitions, walls, doors, fences, window frames, office furniture,
roofs, and shelves.
- Glazier: Removes broken glass, putty, or plastic; replaces windows and door hardware;
replaces or arranges for replacement of glass for windows, doors, and light fixtures.
- Electrical: Performs basic electrical installation and repair work in wiring for switches,
outlets, plugs, cables, power circuits and appliances; repairs lighting systems; inspects
electrical systems for unsafe conditions.
- Plumbing/Painting: Identifies and performs basic repairs of plumbing leaks or breaks;
opens clogged lines and drains; replaces washers and other minor parts; maintains and
monitors septic system; applies and prepares various surfaces for paint, enamel,
lacquer, varnish, or stain; repairs wall coverings.
- Ground Maintenance: Maintains grounds in clean and orderly manner including mowing,
trimming, weeding, aerating, and fertilizing lawns; replaces plants as needed; sets
sprinklers; replaces broken sprinkler heads; adjusts automatic time clocks and system
pressure if necessary; maintains grounds maintenance equipment; trims tree branches
that create hazardous situations; installs and maintains drinking fountains;
repairs/replaces hot water heaters.
- Masonry: Lays forms, mixes, pours, and finishes concrete for buildings, sidewalks, and
- Contractors: Exercises discretion in identifying projects requiring the services of a higher
skilled crafts person; assists in obtaining quotes and arranging for services of outside
vendors as needed.
- Ensure all properties are kept clean and presentable.
- Maintains clean, safe, and orderly work sites.
- Ensure that services rendered are in a manner consistent with HSF’s Mission, Principles, and Core Values.
- Ensure completed work meets quality standards.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player forming positive, collaborative relationships with members of HOPE south Florida.
- Additional tasks may be assigned by the Maintenance and Facilities Director as needed.
Education and Experience Required:
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record is required
- Ability to use hand tools and power tools
- Basic knowledge of AC system theory and testing is helpful
- Any combination of education, trade, and work experience which demonstrates ability to
perform the duties and responsibilities.
- Related work experience in one or more of the building trades including carpentry, glazier,
electrical, plumbing, painting, masonry, grounds maintenance.
- OSHA Certification preferable.
- Experience as a supervisor preferred.
The work environment includes working in both an office setting, in buildings, and out on the
grounds. The work environment has private offices and workspaces with a regular noise level of
employees working on computers, utilizing basic office equipment, printers, fax, telephones, and
talking on the phone, and interacting with one another individually and in meetings.
Working in the buildings and out on the grounds involves outside noises of carpentry, lawn
mowing, and local traffic. Working outdoors can be hot and humid and occasionally exposed to
inclement weather conditions.
Ground maintenance includes working with fertilizer and other chemicals used to maintain the
While performing this job, one is required to use their hands and fingers for operating equipment,
using tools, computer, and telephone. Talking and hearing, as well as standing, walking, driving,
and local travel are required.
Lifting approximately 25 to 40 pounds is necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform
essential functions of the job.
What we offer:
HOPE South Florida provides a competitive salary, generous employer paid health, welfare, and
retirement benefits along with generous time off including vacation time, personal/sick, and holiday pay.
The Hourly range for this position is: $15.00 – $16.00 per hour
To apply for this position please submit your resume and cover letter.
A level 2 background check and drug screen will be conducted once an offer of employment has been
extended. Employment is contingent upon the results of these screenings.
HOPE South Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
Job Type: Full-time
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement Plan
- Monday to Friday